Pandora`s Box
Sometimes we plan carefully for months for a trip. Prepare the itinerary, the budget etc, but still things don't go accordingly. On the other hand, some trips taken on a whim work out wonderfully. It's all a mystery to me really.
When I took a trip to India, it was an entirely impulsive decision. Some family friends were going, so I tagged along at the last moment.
We landed in Delhi at 11 pm on a Sunday night and were whisked to our hotel by a mad man in a taxi. The first impression of Delhi was the shock of seeing huge number of people everywhere. We were staying at a nice little hotel in Karol bagh which is in a central location with everything nearby. 
Bajaj Indian homestay. A very safe and friendly place to stay 
 Delhi felt strangely familiar. We visited a very western part of the city, Connaught Place - We did get to see a bit of old Delhi during our stay and visited the Red Fort, Gandhi ghaat and the biggest Mosque in the world (probably it can hold 20,000 worshipers at one time). 
Delhi in November is just perfect. Not too hot or too cold. I love taking a walk in a strange city early in the morning. When the air still has that fresh unused feel to it. It's always nice to see a city wake up.
Connaught Place

 Delhi has an old world feel to it. Kind of a fusion between colonial and mughal architecture. I just love that city. The people are very friendly and most go out of their way to help you.
We did have very good intentions of sticking to our budget and travelling through Agra and Rajasthan by train, but our lovely hotel manager gave us some very good advice. This advice included the suggestion of our own car and driver. " Aap ladies log ke liye safe nahi hoga akailay train mein safar karna" ( it's not too safe for women to travel alone on trains) Ah a car, no carrying backpacks. We were sold! So accompanying us on our travels was our wonderful driver Lucky. 
Lucky is the nicest, jolliest guy you can think of. He talked non-stop throughout the way to Agra cracking jokes and giving us travel advice. We Planned on going to Agra, Jaipur and Fatehpur Sikri and then back to Delhi after 5 days.
I wasn't keen on seeing the Taj mahal to be honest. I always thought it looks like a normal masjid style buliding with domes and minarets. Why is this even a wonder of the world. Boy was I wrong. 
No picutre can justify the glory, the magnificence of this monument. A friend told me to close my eyes when walking towards it and only open them when it's in full view for the best impact. I actually had tears in my eyes when I saw it for the same time. It's breathtaking.
Sorry about the blurry pics in advance my camera didn't behave itself too well.


As a die hard foodie the highlight of this tip for me was undoubtedly the 8 course dinner at Choki Dhani in Jaipur.
It is mouth watering and typical Rajastani food, served to you on a leaf platter and clay glasses in the tradition of Manuhaar. Your taste buds will remember this treat for a long time, while the warmth of service will stay in your heart forever.The food is served by well trained waiters dressed in traditional Rajhistani attire, who do not allow one's plate to go empty until one gets up. If you can manage to move that is, after gorging down all that delicious food.
Nom Nom
I can still remember the taste of Khichada. It was deliciously salty/sweet and buttery. 

Lucky dancing the night away at Choki Dhani



Another marvel that took me by surprise was the hawa mehal which means "Palace of Winds" in hindi.
The stone carved  screen windows are the main feature of hawa mahel , from where the queens, princesses and women of  the court used to watch the activities taking place in the bazaar and the surrounding streets without being seen.
When we got back to Delhi, being all girls, we naturally wanted to go shopping asap. Lucky took us to an Indian handcraft bazar called Dilli haat which even though is touristy, an absolute must for anyone visiting Delhi. 






Dilli haat is a shopper's paradise. It's made to look like a traditional Indian village, and has pavilions for every state of India selling handicraft, and all sorts of gorgeous stuff. The best part is, that you can actually see the artisans live making things which are then displayed.
When we walked further inside, we discovered a bevy of food joints serving delicious delicacies from different sates of India. And, if you happen to be here in the festive season, you might even get a chance to enjoy the folk dance and many other activities by performers from every part of the nation.


Add caption


Everything was displayed out so beautifully that I had a hard time deciding what to buy. But because of my measly budget, and lack of luggage space I only got a few things. The firs thing I got was this wonderful piece of art called the dancing girls made by a very talented teenager right there on the spot.

This painting translates to how I will always remember India. Vibrant and colorful.
These are made of clay with brozelike metal casing on top.

Bric-a-brac

wrought iron hangings, I got a few of these to give to friends.
This has to be my favorite. There are actually two of these and are wooden book ends that has to be drilled on the wall.
And how can I talk about India and not mention it's delicious street food? There was a very nice chaat-wala near our hotel who served the most tangy, mouthwatering chaat ever. I used to wait like an addict until he opened his little shop and made all kinds of mouth watering treats. Taking pity on me one day, he shared his recipe of my favorite tikki ki chaat which I had never tasted before. His recipe had no precise measurements, but I found a compromising recipe online that made good chaat, not as good as his of course, you have to go to Delhi to experience that, but good enough.

Tikki Ki Chaat
Ingredients:
  • 6 large potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp raw mango powder
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
  • 2 onions finely chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 can of chickpeas roughly mashed
  • 6 cloves
  • 3 pods cardamom
  • 8 peppercorns
  • 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
  • 1 cup Mint-coriander Chutney
  • Coriander chopped fine to garnish
  • Chaat masala to garnish
  • Vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil to shallow fry
Preparation:
  • Mix the mashed potatoes, red chilly, coriander, cumin and raw mango powders, chopped coriander, 1 chopped onion and salt to taste. Make into a smooth paste. Form into equal-sized patties.
  • Heat oil on a griddle and shallow fry these patties till crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
  • Add 1 cup of water to the roughly mashed chickpeas. Add the cloves, cardamom and peppercorns and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn off the heat. Remove the whole spices and discard.
  • To serve the Tikki Ki Chaat, put 2 hot patties in a plate and spoon some chickpea mixture over them. Add the Tamarind and Mint-coriander Chutneys according to taste. Sprinkle chopped onion and corainder to garnish. Sprinkle chaat masala over the whole dish.
  • A tasty variation to this recipe: add some yogurt (whisk to make smooth) over the chickpea mix and then add the remaining ingredients.
Image courtsy: Google images and blogger's own.
Labels: | edit post
21 Responses
  1. Cheeky Chic Says:

    Oh my!! I so wish to go to all neighbouring country once in my life .. Tops my wishlist..You made me so desperate about India ..So wonderful ..:)Thanks a bundle for sharing


  2. Sana Says:

    amazing post i soooo love it ..my parents went to India and i am sooo tempted to go after reading this :)


  3. Namita Says:

    Be it Pakistan, be it India,its the same cos we share the same heart :)
    Reading your post made me remember by Biji's stories about Lyallpur and her home there.. Someday for sure I would come to Pakistan :) Its the second place I want to visit in my "places to visit" list
    And what a lovely place to stay In delhi,,Karol Bagh is like the tiny lil glimpse of what Delhi is :)
    and Chaats are so mouth watering :)
    Good to hear that you got a nice driver :) something very important when traveling to a new place :)

    Delhi Haat is amazing during festivals :)

    Thanks :)


  4. Julie H Says:

    Fascinating buildings there! Looks like you had a great time!


  5. Batul Fazal Says:

    Amazing post <3 I've always wanted to visit Delhi, it somehow reminds me of Lahore! haha I have the same thought about Taj Mahal, but guess have to see it in real to change my mind
    xoxo


  6. Unknown Says:

    wow, seems like you had an amazing trip. I love india and delhi!
    great post and blog, dear :))

    xoxo

    http://www.flirting-with-fashion.blogspot.com


  7. @Cheekychic:Yes, I believe you learn a lot more about people and their culture when you travel. You will be surprised at our own biases.

    @Sana: I think everyone should visit India at least once. It's amazing.

    @Namita: I totally agree. We are the same people. All children of the Indus.
    Oh your Biji's from lyallpur? It is now called Faislabad sadly.I hate it when they change old names. You must come visit and stay with me. I'm sure you'll really like it here. I'm inviting your Biji too, we'll take her to Lyallpur.

    @Mom Taxi Julie:Yes it was lovely. I will definitely go again.

    @Batul fazal: Yes Delhi is very similar to Lahore. Taj Mahal is a must see Batul, you will be pleasantly surprised.

    @Flirting with fashion: Yes it was amazing :) Thanks for stopping by.


  8. Namita Says:

    Hie :)
    I will definitely come to Pakistan and visit you :) lets see when my plan can be materialized,,n my Biji is sadly no more with us but yes her memories and her stories are still deeply etched in my heart.
    I know its been turned to Faislabad but I always call it Lyallpur because she used to call it that only.

    No doubt I will really really like it there :)


  9. I'm so so sorry to hear that.
    You are lucky to have made great memories with her. Grandparents are a blessing.I never knew mine.May God bless her soul.


  10. Eesh Says:

    Im loving this new blog of yours!! More reading for me yay =D Keep posting!!


  11. Namita Says:

    Grand parents are indeed a Blessing, I have my nani with us but yes never saw my Dadaji or my Nanaji . Even getting to know about them from my other family members make me feel happy :) My Dadaji was from Jhang Maghiyana.

    Thanks :)


  12. Su Says:

    Oh wow, great travel diary! Beautiful experience you had there. I have never been to Delhi, though I have family there. Next time I come to India, I hope to visit :)


  13. SAHAR Says:

    you lucky girl manage to check other countries... love your colourful post and recipe


  14. Komal Ali Says:

    This is such an engaging post. Loved the pictures and details. You should write for newspapers! :-)


  15. Maham Says:

    OMG! I loved this post..So vibrant yet simple .This made me want to visit India too.Lovely.


  16. Sharda Says:

    Thanx for your sweet comment on my blog. Absolutely love the layout of your blog! Seems like you enjoyed a lot; I also would like to visit India some day in the future. Great pictures.;)
    hugs


  17. Unknown Says:

    your blog is so cute!!! loving the layout!

    ♡ whimsicalityindisguise.blogspot.com
    *** Join my International Street Style Giveaway!



  18. Unknown Says:

    I just got back from India on Saturday (except I was in the South) and this makes me want to go back and explore the North oh so much! I don't know if I could take having to eat so much for another two weeks though :P Everywhere we went it was like the banquet you described! The food on the plate seemed to increase as the meal went on haha.

    Sounds like a fantastic trip :) Rhi xx

    thewildestofdreams.blogspot.com


  19. Anonymous Says:

    fantastic blog.i enjoyed reading it
    -sophi


  20. Zatheela Says:

    Indian street food yummyyy


Post a Comment